Added: 2011 Dec 04 (Sun)
Total cook time: 03 hours 20 minutes
1. In a large bowl, add warm water, yeast, and salt. Add the flours a half cup at a time and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. By the end, ditch the spoon and use your hands in a kneading fashion.
2. Add oil and caraway seeds and knead to combine. Shape into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm location for 2 hours.
3. Coat a cutting board or pizza peel with flour and plop the dough onto it. Press the dough down with your finger tips into roughly a circle or square. Roll the dough up like you would a sleeping bag to make a long log. Fold the right third to the center third and then the left third on top of that. Press this down with your finger tips again into a square. Pull each corner into the center and press down to smooth it together. You're making a ball which can then be elongated to the final shape you want.
4. Dust underneath the dough with flour to prevent sticking, lightly spray the top with water, and coat the top with more flour. Preheat the oven to 500°F. Let rise for 25 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
5. Slash a fanciful shape into the top of the loaf for expansion and spritz with some water. Place the loaf into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Lower the temperature to 400°F and bake for another 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.