Added: 2011 Sep 01 (Thu)
Total cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
To make crystallized ginger:
1. Slice ginger into 1/8" slices.
2. In a small pot, boil ginger and water for about 35 minutes until ginger is tender.
3. Remove ginger and rinse. Add it back to the pot with an equal amount of sugar, about 3 tbsp. Boil and cook down until sugar is caramelized. Remove and set aside.
To make bread:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a loaf pan and coat with a little bit of flour. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine walnuts, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and crystallized ginger. Set aside.
3. Beat the butter until fluffy. Add the remaining sugar (4 tbsp.) and beat again until mixture is no longer crumbly. Add egg. Stir in vanilla and zucchini.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and curry powder.
5. Add to the wet ingredients.
6. Fold in the walnut-lemon-ginger mixture. Save a bit for the topping.
7. Pour out into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the remaining walnut-lemon-ginger on top. Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan and cooling on a wire rack.