Added: 2011 Sep 01 (Thu)
Total cook time: 30 minutes
1. Boil water in a large pot that's big enough to submerge the Mason jar you'll be using. Go ahead and place Mason jar pieces in the water while it boils. Really, it only needs to be boiling for a little while. Perhaps a few minutes. Who knows? When finished, empty the jar and take the parts out. (Read notes section on sterilization.)
2. When the first large pot is boiling, then it's time to boil the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar in a small quart-sized pot.
3. Stuff the jar with okra, garlic, peppercorns, pepper flakes, and dill. Pour vinegar mixture on top, leaving half an inch or so of space. Seal the jar, but not too tight.
4. Place jar in large pot and boil for 10 minutes.
5. Remove and let cool for a couple hours. Since I'm not following proper sterilization techniques here, I feel more comfortable putting the cooled jar in the fridge. The longer the better, but they can be eaten in as soon as 1 day.
- This recipe is for a 32-ounce Mason jar.
- If you want the okra to keep longer without spoiling in room temperature, you should consult some sterilization instructions elsewhere on the internet.