Added: 2010 May 20 (Thu)
Total cook time: 01 hour 45 minutes
Crust (makes 2):
1. Combine 1/2 cup of water and yeast. With wooden spoon, stir in 1 cup of flour. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.
2. Add oil, milk, salt, and the rest of the water. Stir in remaining flour and the cornmeal. Mix with spoon. Cover and let rise for 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 450°F at some point.
3. Strip chard leaves from stems. Chop stems and tear leaves. Set aside, separated.
4. Cook bacon in pan until much of the fat has melted off. Take bacon out and set on paper towel. (You can cut them into squares at this point.) Pour out most of the bacon fat.
5. Add garlic to pan. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add chard stems. Cook 8-10 minutes. Add leaves and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
6. When toppings are ready to be added, coat baking pan with cornmeal and a cutting board with flour. Divide dough in half. Collect the half together and coat with some more flour to prevent sticking. Briefly flatten the dough out on cutting board before transferring it to the baking pan to continue the flattening process. (I did this in 2 steps so that dough would be covered in the right amount of flour before hitting the cornmeal.)
7. Put greens on dough. Top with cheeses and bacon. Bake for about 15 minutes. Top with salt and red pepper flakes.
For some reason, the recipe says to make twice as much dough as you will need for the toppings. Also, it is absolutely not necessary to knead or let the dough rise for as long as they say, so I cut that time in half. (Them: 3.4 hours. Me: 1.7 hours.)