Added: 2009 Nov 25 (Wed)
Total cook time: 02 hours 30 minutes
1. In small bowl, add water and heat in microwave. Add 1 tsp. sugar and the yeast. Let the yeast froth up.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar.
3. In another small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Add egg and beat until consistent. Add milk.
4. Add egg and butter mixture to large bowl. Add yeast and water.
5. Knead for dough for 6-8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
6. Cover with damp cloth and set aside to rise for anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on how much time you have.
7. Punch down the dough, knead in optional garlic, then pinch off golf-ball-sized pieces. Roll them into balls and place them on a cookie sheet.
8. Cover cookie sheet with a towel and let it rise for at least 20 minutes.
9. Preheat oven and an aluminum-covered cookie sheet at the highest it can be, preferably broil.
10. Squish down each ball and toss them in the oven. Spray each side with cooking spray or brush on butter. Whatever. Broil each side until browned.
Don't expect naan like at the restaurant here, but it tastes really good fresh. Also, I used a combination of gluten flour and all-purpose because I didn't have any bread flour. I'd like to try this with some whole wheat flour.